Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Selfish One

I found an angel in the city
We moved in sync like the gears in this masterfully crafted clock
It didn't take long for us to fall in love, everything matched
We read each others minds
I'm a selfish one, I make you laugh so that I can see your smile
And your blues eyes reflect the sunlight, that obviously hovers in my favor
When we separated for a single night or two, you had to leave the city for your smart and witty job
I lied in wait in a forest green sleeping bag when your signal crossed the sea
Pushed the light green button to hear a quietly weeping angel
She relayed the doctors word:
"Your legs are going soon."
She asked me if I cared that she'd be wheeling around the house
If I'd help her when the spokes snap and her wheel's caught in a crack
Or when the brakes just don't slow her down
She asked if I'd commit, to loving her regardless, absolutely
We read each others minds, yet we cannot read our own
Replying with a stare, she knew in the silent part of her that I only vowed with panic
Fear of loss, fear of regret, fear of hating myself
I am a selfish one
As the next two weeks passed, her legs began to go
A single wrapped bandage quickly turned into three, then seven, and then there were none
My angel no longer had her wings and my test for love had just begun
I walked her through the park, every day at noon, to revive the smell of Fall
She looks up at me and smiles, but she doesn't show her teeth
She's reading my mind again, she knows this act is hard
I return a smile and she returns her gaze to the pattern of concrete passing underneath her
I get up earlier than I would, to make you breakfast for a while
I mail your letters to the boss that let you go
I hope you sleep in late, so I can do the same
I wish this never happened..No, I love my flightless angel..regardless
Absolutely
I, I, I, I
I am a selfish one
Your wheel was caught in cracks, I freed you, with a sigh
Your spokes snapped in half, to test my love
And I stared to death on the drive for more
Every day, your midday eyes slowly turned downward
Disappointed in your situation; this tortured servant that was only bound by vows
It's been 3 years and I haven't seen your teeth in ages, your smiles never crack
And I can never make you laugh
My angel is a human, and I am a selfish one
And when I left my angel, we read each others minds
She knew that I loved her, but hated this
And I knew she felt the same
So no words were exchanged
I left my angel in the city, with a rocky sidewalk park
Rusty, broken, wheels
And vows made in vain
I am a selfish one.

No comments: